Looking for places to spend more time outdoors this spring and summer? This will help.
After a year of social distancing combined with a long, cold winter, the arrival of sunny days in Saratoga Springs is more than welcome! While the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) still remind us that we need to follow proper COVID-19 safety guidelines, it’s finally considered safe for vaccinated seniors to venture out again. If you are looking for a few fun spring and summer activities, we have some ideas for you to explore.
Spring in Saratoga Springs
While the temperature can fluctuate greatly during May, you’ll likely be able to spend part of your days in the great outdoors. Here are a few activities you can engage in:
- Sunnyside Gardens: May is the perfect time to plan an outing to your local greenhouse. If you are an older adult struggling to keep an outdoor garden, consider installing raised beds or creating a container garden. They provide a pop of color in your backyard or on your front porch that will make you smile all summer long.
- Lake George Steamboat Company: If you and a friend are ready for a short road trip, Lake George Steamboat Company is less than 30 miles from Saratoga Springs. Cruises begin again on May 3rd. You can enjoy a daytime lunch cruise, a champagne brunch, a spectacular sunset trip, or even a pirate adventure!
- Haunted Saratoga Ghost Tours: Who doesn’t love a good ghost story on a warm spring or summer night? Whether it’s joining a small group tour or arranging a private tour with friends, Haunted Saratoga is another outing to consider. While it requires a lot of walking, there are no stairs to climb. With 24-hour notice, they can also accommodate guests with mobility struggles.
- Ballooning Adventures: Another fun way to spend a morning or afternoon is on a balloon tour. You can fly over the Adirondack Mountains in New York or Vermont’s Green Mountains. Flights are limited to small groups and last about an hour, weather depending.
- Adirondack Craft Beverage Trail: From wineries and distilleries to breweries and cideries, you’ll enjoy this trip through the Adirondacks. You can view and download a free Trail map here.
- Saratoga Springs Parks: For seniors looking to enjoy the great outdoors, Saratoga Springs offers many opportunities. Saratoga Spa State Park, Congress Park, and Yaddo Garden are just a few.
Finally, if you have been considering a transition to an independent or assisted living community, now is an ideal time to visit. Call The Wesley Community to schedule a personal tour!